rcsis no longer installed by default - you'll need to do:
pkg install rcs, then
blacklistdto fix this. See Adding firewall on how to fix this.
Sorry, no time to do this right -- just throwing in some gross notes to help jog my memory if I find myself stuck here again...
Dell R710 server, PERC 6, two RAID 5 groups configured for BIOS.
Downloaded 11.1-release ISO, burned CD. (See release 10 howto for CD burn directions.)
Booted server to CD. During install got some error messages about unrecoverable media error, sounded like CD was bad. If I wasn't watching, I might not have seen them, they eventually scrolled off top. Regardless, install seemed to work just fine.
Got worried about the error messages, burned a new CD from same iso file, reinstalled, same error messages. Googled, did not find anything related. Again, install seemed fine, so just went with it.
See 10.0 install for personal customizations. (Ignore stuff about 'bsdintall'.) Install 'emacs24'. Skip 'bind99' install (see below).
Note: 'putty' with SSH->X11, select "Enable X11 forwarding" and put ":0.0" in the location box. Don't forget to 'setenv $DISPLAY=localhost:10.0' on the server. I used to use an older ssh client where this would work with localhost set to the client IP addr - this does not work with putty. Oh, btw I had to change to putty as my old client is now rejected by server with errors about old protocols no longer accepted.
'named' is now 'bind' and is no longer installed by default.
Installed that ('pkg install'), started getting bitch messages about
that being too old, please update to BIND911. So moral of this part
of story is to start with BIND911. [20200319 Now BIND914 - no more
BIND911 now requires some dang kernel tweak or you'll get logspam something about "TCP_FASTOPEN". Gosub build custom kernel.
[20200319 Note that the service command is still 'named', not 'bind' as you might expect.]
First time only:
pkg install subversion
svn checkout http://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.1/usr/src
(Note: YOURSYSTEMNAME is traditionally done in all uppercase. I use the same name as the DNS name for the box)
cp GENERIC /root/kernels/YOURSYSNAME.i386
ln -s /root/kernels/YOURSYSNAME.i386 YOURSYSNAME
Edit your file
ident GENERIC to
(Note filename will have dot-architecture - ident does not.)
(Note: takes a few mins)
(Note: takes an hour or so)
(Note: change number to YYYYMMDDxx, year, month, day, attempt that day.)
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURSYSTEMNAME TARGET=i386 |& tee /root/kernels/20172600buildkernel.log
(Note: takes a few mins)
(Note: kernconf is kernel ident, not filename - no dot architecture)
(Note: output filename changes to "install" - was "build" in previous - as well as date and sequence)
Once you get a successful complete build:
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURSYSTEMNAME TARGET=i386 |& tee /root/kernels/20172600installkernel.log
All should be ready, you can check that the install happened by checking the dates on the files in
/boot/kernel and make
sure it's now.
shutdown -r now
If you get an unbootable kernel, at the loader prompt you should be
able to proceed by entering
Once running, check which kernel you actually are running
/var/log/dmesg.today. Ignore the 6th line where it
gives a path to a GENERIC file - this seems to be the build that the
original files were based upon, as opposed to the actual build time
and date. Search for
not. Problems still? Google is your friend.
Now do same steps with
Now same steps with
/var/log/console - if this file is
not there, go back to this section in my release 10 install
I'm getting the same old dang boot error about more swap than
maxswzone that I was getting in
release 10. Tried same stuff as last time, still haven't gotten this
to go away yet, but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems so
will continue to ignore for now. Have spent unbelievable number of
hours googling, rebooting, trying stuff but never got this one
And you know what? After all this fucking shit, it still hasn't fixed
the fucking TCP_FASTOPEN error in the fucking console log from the
fucking 'bind' server. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fucking DAYS in the
fucking toilet -- days.
Am also seeing and have not figured out:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xc10123d0, 0) error 19
pcib0: _OSC returned error 0x10
<?must be changed to
<?phpthroughout the script.
mysql_connect()must have a preceding
@added to supress the "deprecated" message. Obviously you'll want to change to the new mechanism when possible, but to immediately and temporarily get the old script working in the new environment, you can get away with this.
split()has been deprecated and must be replaced by "
php -i, by the way (appears to) give you the same info as a script that just says
phpinfo();. Web searches claimed that it does not show session info - from my experience, this is false - on my system when the session was broken, you could do
php -i | grep -i sessionand get nothing. Now that the system is working, this will yield a list of some 20-30 values.
session.save_path "/tmp/php_sess"(uncomment out)
session.auto_start = 1(change from 0 to 1)
chmod 700 /tmp/php_sess
chown www /tmp/php_sess
chgrp wheel /tmp/php_sess
At system boot, I am seeing the following log message:
My system is a Dell R710. I found the fix at: (link). In a nutshell, edit your
powerd: no cpufreq(4) support -- aborting: No such file or directory
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start powerd
/boot/device.hintsfile. The last two lines in my file were: